The Assessor’s Office is responsible for preparing the Town’s annual Grand List. The Grand List is the basis for approximately 50% of the Town’s operating revenues. The work of the Assessor’s Office involves the appraisal of real estate both new construction and other changes made to existing improved properties. It also includes the annual appraisal of personal property including motor vehicles.
Other responsibilities of the Assessor’s Office include:
- Record property transfers and update assessment records and maps for splits or subdivision of land.
- Assignment of house numbers for 911 emergency system.
- Evaluate property sales for use by the State of Connecticut in grants for education to the Town.
- Apply tax exemptions and tax deferrals, such as veterans, disabled, blind, farm, elderly, and urban jobs programs.
- Explain assessment and tax law revisions to property owners.
- Act as a property information center to residents, their agents, and Town staff.