Permits are required before building, moving, altering, demolishing, or adding on to a structure. This includes, but is not limited to decks, sheds (over 200 sf), roofs, siding, pools, and hot tubs. Any project that will affect the strength or integrity of the structure or involves replacing all or part of the plumbing, electrical, or heating systems must have a permit. Call the Department for more information and permit fees.

Homeowners of one or two family homes that they occupy have the right to do repairs and improvements to maintain their homes.  

All Home Improvement and New Home Construction Contractors as well as Trades must be registered with the State of Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection and must display that registration number in all advertising. To verify credentials or obtain applications, see the Consumer Department’s website by clicking here.

Information concerning the State of Connecticut Building and Fire Safety Code may be obtained at the Department of Public Safety’s website, which you can visit by clicking here.

ATTENTION CONTRACTORS - Be aware of the new Federal lead paint regulations regarding renovations to buildings constructed prior to 1978. For additional information, see the EPA page on Lead by clicking here.

Requirements for Building Permits

Note: Building Permits for additions, sheds, garages, pools and decks would require Items 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, & 7 as well as appropriate construction detail documents. Pool permits also require proof of purchase of pool alarm.

Building Permits for most other improvements generally would require only Items 3, 6, & 7.


  1. An application must be filed with and approved by the Planning & Zoning Department and also the Wetlands Office, if necessary.
  2. An application to install a septic system for property not serviced by the public sewer system must be filed with and approved by the Northeast District Department of Health, 69 South Main Street, Unit 4, Brooklyn, CT 06234. Phone: (860) 774-7350.
  3. If property will be serviced by the public sewer system, a copy of the sewer permit must be provided.
  4. Property tax payments must be current.
  5. Two copies of building plans must be submitted for approval. One copy will be returned to the applicant. Plans must include:
    1. Site Plan
    2. Foundation Plan
    3. Floor Plan with windows and door schedules
    4. Electrical and Plumbing Plans
    5. Elevators
    6. Clear description of fire ratings.
  6. Compliance with model Energy Code shall be provided.  
  7. Proof of Contractor’s License and Workman’s Compensation Insurance.
  8. Trade permits must be completed by properly licensed tradesmen for plumbing, heating, electrical, and other mechanical components. Trade permits are not required of homeowners of one and two family houses when working on their own property.
  9. A driveway permit is required from the Town of Killingly for town roads and can be acquired in the ENGINEERS office. Driveway permits for state roads must be obtained from the State of Connecticut Department of Transportation, Bureau of Highways in Norwich. Phone: (860) 823-3233

Closure of Certain Building Permits